Samantha J. Gross
Bachelor of Science | May 2018 | Boston University College of Communication
- Journalism, 3.7 GPA, Magna Cum Laude
- Blue Chip Award winner for academics and leadership
Lowell Sun | statehouse correspondent | January 2018- May 2018
- Kept a pulse of state government, pitching and writing two to four stories per week on pertinent news topics
- Covered breaking news, hearings, sessions and events for the Lowell paper and papers in surrounding towns
- Forged relationships with 20 state legislators about bills and issues, localize stories for Lowell area
Boston Globe | metro correspondent | July 2016- May 2018
- Reported and wrote general assignment and breaking news stories for the Metro section, both online and in print
- Tracked breaking news via social media and police scanners, monitored tip line
- Produced stories using Methode content management system
Miami Herald | metro intern | June – Aug. 2017
- Covered variety of breaking news, enterprise features and many A1 stories like a study of late-night drinking regulation on South Beach and a deep dive into causes behind South Florida’s infamous road rage problem
- Helped transcribe, fact check 18-month investigation of abuse within Florida’s youth detention centers. The project was nominated for a 2018 Pulitzer Prize in investigative journalism.
London Evening Standard | editorial intern | Jan. 2017 – April 2017
- Pitched, researched and wrote lifestyle feature pieces for the London area’s dominant evening paper
- Fact checked and edited freelance articles for grammar, accuracy and British style under tight deadline
- Used the Evening Standard's custom content management system to upload original work, create galleries and format freelanced content
Daily Free Press | Editor in Chief | Dec. 2015 – May 2016
- Edited and fact-checked all content published online and in print, including campus, city, sports, opinion, features, photo, multimedia and blog sections.
- Led the newsroom of 50 writers and multimedia journalists in the daily newsroom production cycle as well as breaking news coverage
- Had final editorial oversight over the print edition in InDesign and online content in Wordpress
- Served as the president of Back Bay Publishing Co., working as the liaison between editorial and business boards.
- Oversaw all social media posts.
Other roles held: Multimedia editor (May - Dec. 2015), Layout editor (Dec. 2014 - May 2015), News writer (Sept. - Dec. 2014)
· Back Bay Publishing Company, Boston | Chairman of the Board | May 2017- May 2018
- Lead the board that governs The Daily Free Press, the independent student newspaper at Boston University
- Managed the newspaper's advertising, budget, public relations, alumni network, and other business matters.
- Worked closely with the office manager and other former editors to ensure the financial stability of the company
- Successfully worked to put on a series of bi-monthly "FreeP Talk" speakers series and the first annual "Next Edition" student networking conference, the first of its kind in the Boston area
· BU College of Communication, Boston | Assistant to the Journalism Dept. | Sept. 2016- present
· Freelance work published in Metro Boston, USA Today College, Northwest Indiana Times, Post-Tribune
· Dean’s List | Boston University College of Communication | Sept. 2014 – present
· Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper | Society of Professional Journalists | March 2016
· First Runner-Up, College Newspaper of the year| New England Society of News and Editors | April 2016
· AP Style · HTML/CSS, Adobe Creative Suite · Methode · CCI Newsgate · Wordpress · Final Cut Pro